- May 24, 2017
- David Baker
- Comments Off on David Baker on the Agenda discussing Ageism in the Workplace
Watch Bakerlaw’s David Baker discuss Ageism in the Workplace on the Agenda.
French Prime Minister visits Community Home for the Disabled within Days of New Government Formation
- May 24, 2017
- Comments Off on French Prime Minister visits Community Home for the Disabled within Days of New Government Formation
The website handicap.fr recently published an article entitled: The Prime Minister visits persons with disabilities.
Just days after the new French government was announced, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe and Minister of State for Disabled People Sophie Cluzel paid a visit to a community home for the disabled, at the invitation of the Simon de Cyrène foundation. » Read the rest
- May 23, 2017
- Comments Off on VIA Rail Changes its Policies on Mobility Devices on its Trains
As a result of our clients’ successful litigation at the Canadian Transportation Agency, VIA Rail proposed revisions to its policy regarding mobility devices to now permit two devices to be tied down on its trains. Previously, VIA’s policy only permitted one mobility device at a time to be tied down on its trains. » Read the rest
- May 15, 2017
- Comments Off on More Coverage of our Clients’ Victory over Via Rail
Michelle McQuigge, Canadian Press, reported on our clients’ case against Via Rail. You can read the story in the Globe and Mail here (link).
- May 1, 2017
- Comments Off on Federal court dismisses VIA Rail appeal on couples with mobility scooters travelling together
CBC recently reported on our clients’ success at the Federal Court of Appeal. You can read their story here (link).
- April 28, 2017
- Comments Off on Bakerlaw is Hiring an Associate Lawyer
Associate Lawyer Position Available
Bakerlaw is looking for a litigation associate lawyer with 2-5 years’ experience.
Bakerlaw is a small, progressive firm. We specialize in public interest work in civil litigation and administrative law, with emphasis on disability law, human rights and Charter litigation. We pride ourselves on our commitment to our clients, to the community and to broader systemic equality issues. » Read the rest
- April 21, 2017
- Comments Off on Bakerlaw is Hiring!
Legal Administrator/Paralegal Position Available
Bakerlaw is a small law firm specializing in human rights, disability, health, education and Charter issues. Our clients are typically individuals rather than institutions, and we seek out challenging cases.
In your role of Legal Administrator /Paralegal you will have numerous responsibilities including:
- Conducting client intakes
- Drafting legal documents and forms
- Document production for service and filing
- Maintaining electronic and paper client files
- Preparing and sending client invoices
- Processing accounts payable
A significant portion of the position relates to client intake. » Read the rest
- April 7, 2017
- Comments Off on Parents battle for son’s right to autism services in school
The Toronto Star has released a story about our clients fight to get adequate autism related accommodations in public schools. You can read the full article here (link).
The case will be heard by the Human Rights Tribunal of Ontario in May. » Read the rest
- March 28, 2017
- Comments Off on Couples with Mobility Scooters Must Keep Fighting
Earlier this year Bakerlaw featured a blog post about a Canadian Transportation Agency decision regarding rail accessibility. The case was about the lack of adequate tie-down spaces on VIA Rail trains which results in persons with mobility scooters needing to travel separately. We characterized the decision as “favourable but weak” (you can read the post here (link)). » Read the rest
- March 16, 2017
- David Baker
- Comments Off on David Baker’s Letter to the Editor