- July 27, 2017
- Comments Off on VIA Rail Creates More Barriers in Fight of Greater Accessibility
Want an update on our clients’ continuing fight for greater accessibility on VIA Rail trains? Read this CBC, Canadian Press article here (link).
You can read our previous post on the continuing saga here (link).
Stay tuned for more updates; this case isn’t over yet . . » Read the rest
Canada’s Transportation System Should be the Most Accessible in the World, says CEO of the Canadian Transportation Agency
- June 19, 2017
- Comments Off on Canada’s Transportation System Should be the Most Accessible in the World, says CEO of the Canadian Transportation Agency
The Canadian Transportation Agency has been undergoing a major regulatory review, called the Regulatory Modernization Initiative, with the goal of improving all of its regulations. The is an opportunity to improve regulations regarding accessibility. Today, the CEO of the Agency, Scott Streiner, gave a speech outlining his vision to make Canada’s national transportation system the most accessible in the world. » Read the rest
- June 19, 2017
- Comments Off on CBC covers our clients’ fight for more accessible software in the federal public service
The CBC published a story about our client’s case against the federal government regarding inaccessible internal government software and websites. You can read the full CBC story here (link). Our client, a long-time federal public servant with a disability, faced barriers with widely-used software in public service. This negatively affected her ability to do her job. » Read the rest
- May 24, 2017
- David Baker
- Comments Off on David Baker on the Agenda discussing Ageism in the Workplace
Watch Bakerlaw’s David Baker discuss Ageism in the Workplace on the Agenda.
French Prime Minister visits Community Home for the Disabled within Days of New Government Formation
- May 24, 2017
- Comments Off on French Prime Minister visits Community Home for the Disabled within Days of New Government Formation
The website handicap.fr recently published an article entitled: The Prime Minister visits persons with disabilities.
Just days after the new French government was announced, Prime Minister Edouard Philippe and Minister of State for Disabled People Sophie Cluzel paid a visit to a community home for the disabled, at the invitation of the Simon de Cyrène foundation. » Read the rest
- May 23, 2017
- Comments Off on VIA Rail Changes its Policies on Mobility Devices on its Trains
As a result of our clients’ successful litigation at the Canadian Transportation Agency, VIA Rail proposed revisions to its policy regarding mobility devices to now permit two devices to be tied down on its trains. Previously, VIA’s policy only permitted one mobility device at a time to be tied down on its trains. » Read the rest
- May 15, 2017
- Comments Off on More Coverage of our Clients’ Victory over Via Rail
Michelle McQuigge, Canadian Press, reported on our clients’ case against Via Rail. You can read the story in the Globe and Mail here (link).
- May 1, 2017
- Comments Off on Federal court dismisses VIA Rail appeal on couples with mobility scooters travelling together
CBC recently reported on our clients’ success at the Federal Court of Appeal. You can read their story here (link).
- April 28, 2017
- Comments Off on Bakerlaw is Hiring an Associate Lawyer
Associate Lawyer Position Available
Bakerlaw is looking for a litigation associate lawyer with 2-5 years’ experience.
Bakerlaw is a small, progressive firm. We specialize in public interest work in civil litigation and administrative law, with emphasis on disability law, human rights and Charter litigation. We pride ourselves on our commitment to our clients, to the community and to broader systemic equality issues. » Read the rest
- April 21, 2017
- Comments Off on Bakerlaw is Hiring!
Legal Administrator/Paralegal Position Available
Bakerlaw is a small law firm specializing in human rights, disability, health, education and Charter issues. Our clients are typically individuals rather than institutions, and we seek out challenging cases.
In your role of Legal Administrator /Paralegal you will have numerous responsibilities including:
- Conducting client intakes
- Drafting legal documents and forms
- Document production for service and filing
- Maintaining electronic and paper client files
- Preparing and sending client invoices
- Processing accounts payable
A significant portion of the position relates to client intake. » Read the rest