- December 10, 2021
- Comments Off on Human Rights Day 2021
Today marks the 73rd annual Human Rights Day, which celebrates the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (UDHR) (link) as put forth by the United Nations in 1948.
This year’s theme for the celebration is “EQUALITY – Reducing inequalities, advancing human rights”, which relates to Article 1 of the UDHR – “All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.” » Read the rest
- October 27, 2021
- Comments Off on Dr. Sonu K. Gaind to speak about MAiD in the context of Mental Health
Dr. Sonu K. Gaind, alongside commentator Dr. Derryck H. Smith, will be holding a seminar to discuss issues related to Medical Assistance in Dying (MAiD) with a focus on the particular challenges that are posed with mental illness in the context of MAiD. » Read the rest
- June 4, 2021
- Comments Off on Making hospital health care more accessible for persons with disabilities
The Provincial Health Care Standards Development Committee is seeking public feedback to on its recommendations to update standards in hospitals. The initial recommendations seek to increase accessibility of health care services delivered in hospitals to persons with disabilities.
- January 29, 2021
- Comments Off on Stopping Gender Discrimination at Work: Is the System Broken?
There are long-established laws aimed at protecting women from gender-based discrimination at work. However, as revealed by Robyn Doolittle at the Globe and Mail, in the most recent installment of the series, “Power Gap” (link), actually achieving a just resolution can be a challenge. » Read the rest
- November 13, 2020
- Anoop Kalsi
- Comments Off on Can you still receive Out-of-country medical funding under OHIP?
Ontarians have been able to seek reimbursement for out of country medical care in certain circumstances. On January 1, 2020 of this year, the Ontario Government eliminated this program. The removal of this out-of-country program was the subject of a legal challenge. » Read the rest
- October 9, 2020
- Laura Lepine
- Comments Off on Canadians Protected from Genetic Discrimination
Genetic testing has never been more accessible. A genetic test can tell you about your ancestry, or tell your doctor important information about your health. The information from a genetic test, however, is highly personal. It would be a breach of your privacy if that information fell into the wrong hands. » Read the rest
- September 29, 2020
- Comments Off on Get Involved: Making Positive Changes to Long-Term Care Homes
Throughout this pandemic, there has been a lot of coverage on Long-Term Care Homes (LTCH), with particular focus on living conditions, death rates, and general health care of the residents.
The Seniors for Social Action (Ontario) organization has launched its new website offering information to individuals who want to be involved in making a positive change for residents in LTCHs. » Read the rest
- September 9, 2020
- Comments Off on ODSP Recipients Consider MAiD
The COVID-19 pandemic has affected everyone. City News Toronto has written about the impact the pandemic has had on those who receive Ontario Disability Support Payments (ODSP). The article highlights how some ODSP recipients have, or are are considering applying for medical assistance in dying (MAiD). » Read the rest
- August 26, 2020
- Kimberly Srivastava
- Comments Off on Psychosis and Police: a dangerous mix
There has been a lot in the news lately about who is best positioned to respond to those experiencing a mental health crisis. “Wellness checks” are best done by those who have proper training to provide assistance to those being checked in on. » Read the rest
- August 10, 2020
- Comments Off on Have Your Say: Help Create Accessibility Standards
Accessibility Canada is looking for participants to help shape accessibility standards aimed at addressing barriers faced by Canadians with disabilities in the following areas:
- the built environment
- information and communication technologies
- communication, other than information and communication technologies
- the procurement of goods, services and facilities
- the design and delivery of programs and services